Chef Timon Balloo was born to Chinese and Trinidadian parents. His scrapbook of memories leads with days on the farm, ethnic recipes, and a favorite pastime of watching the PBS show Yan Can Cook. Little did he know then that he would soon be on the fast track to a James Beard Foundation “Best New Restaurant” nomination for SUGARCANE raw bar grill. This and a host of other accolades continue to reflect his dedication to the seasonal, local ingredients that fuel his daily inspirations taken from the market’s freshest offerings. Shortly after the restaurant’s debut in 2010, SUGARCANE raw bar grill took “Best New Restaurant” and Balloo was dubbed “Best Up-and-Coming Chef” by Miami New Times. He was also named “Chef of the Year” by Eater, and the accolades have never stopped.
Accolades & Publications
- James Beard Foundation – Best New Restaurant semifinalist (2011)
- FOOD & WINE – The People’s Best New Chef nominee (2012)
- Eater.com – Restaurant of the Year Miami (2015), Best Chef Miami (2015)
- Johnson & Wales University – ZEST Awards Culinary Innovator (2014)
- Miami New Times Short Order Awards – Best Restaurant, 5 Best Reviewed Restaurants, Best Up-and-Coming Chef, 5 Best Chefs (2010)