Born and raised in New Orleans, Michael Gulotta began cooking in local restaurants at a young age. After graduating from the Chef John Folse Culinary Institute, he joined the newly opened Restaurant August under Chef John Besh. Gulotta then took leave to train in the Italian Riviera and Germany’s Black Forest. When Hurricane Katrina hit, Michael returned home to help rebuild and assist with August’s re-opening. He was named Chef de Cuisine in 2007 and led the award-winning kitchen for 6 years, while establishing relationships with local farmers and purveyors. He opened his first restaurant, MoPho, in January of 2014 with his brother, Jeffrey Gulotta, and high-school friend, Jeffrey Bybee. Located in New Orleans’ Mid City, MoPho strives to be a true neighborhood restaurant and a destination for Southeast Asian inspired cuisine utilizing the Louisiana pantry. In 2016 his company opened its second restaurant, Maypop, in the New Orleans central business district.
Accolades & Publications
- James Beard Foundation – Best Chef: South semifinalist (2016)
- Food & Wine – Best New Chefs (2016)
- Starchefs.com – New Orleans Rising Star (2016)
- Plate – Top 30 Chefs to Watch in the Nation (2015)
- Bon Appétit – America’s Best New Restaurant nominee (MoPho, 2014)
- New Orleans Magazine – Restaurant of the Year (MoPho, 2014)