Chef Caswell, a true Southerner born in Lafayette, spent his youth hunting, fishing and exploring the Gulf Coast. After graduating from the CIA, he went on to work for Jean Georges Vongerichten in New York, Hong Kong, Barcelona and the Bahamas. He pairs a passion for fresh seafood with bold flavors and locally sourced produce.
Houston’s culinary scene was immediately elevated by the opening of REEF, Bryan’s first concept. Often credited as the originator of the by-catch movement, he introduced REEF’s diners to 92+ different species from the Gulf since opening in 2007. He has received rave reviews from critics and earned several culinary accolades, including multiple James Beard nominations .
Bryan continued expanding his empire with Little Bigs, El Real Tex-Mex Café, Jackson St, 3rd Bar, El Real (IAH) and a partnership with the Astros at Minute Maid Park. Along with his wife, Jennifer, their 4 children, 4 chickens and 2 dogs, he calls Houston home.
Accolades & Publications
- Wine Enthusiasts Magazine – Top 100 Restaurants (REEF, 2016)
- James Beard Foundation – Best Chef: Southwest nominee (2010, 2011)
- Starchefs.com – Rising Star Restaurateur (2011)
- Food Network’s “The Next Iron Chef” – Contestant (Season 3, 2010)
- FOOD & WINE – Best New Chef (2009)
- Bon Appétit – Best Seafood Restaurant (REEF, 2009)