Four-time James Beard Foundation Best Chef: Southwest semifinalist and “Top Chef” contestant, Chef John Tesar is known for his stylish, modern American cuisine prepared with classic European techniques, innovative culinary perspective and no-nonsense personality. Throughout his 20+ years in the restaurant industry, which started in La Varenne Ecole de Cuisine in Paris, he’s received national nods from Esquire (named to Best New Restaurants for two consecutive years), Food & Wine and The New York Times, appearances on “The Today Show” and “The Early Show” and winning the inaugural season of Food Network’s “Extreme Chef.”
Tesar worked in Westhampton, New York and Las Vegas before putting down roots in Dallas in 2007 where he’s consulted for the menus at DRG Concepts’ Dallas Chop House and most recently Oak in the Design District to name a few.
Knife at The Highland Dallas is Tesar’s vision of what a contemporary steakhouse should be. Opened in 2014 the chef-driven restaurant has continued to be recognized for reinventing the steakhouse experience. Most recently Knife’s pimento cheeseburger was featured as Best Burger in Dallas on The 50 Greatest Burgers list for Texas Magazine and Best Steakhouse by D Magazine’s “Best of Big D’s” list. Always looking ahead for the next project, Tesar announced he is working with Flatiron Books and Macmillan on a book, Knife: Modern Steak and All American Meats, that will be published in spring 2017.
Accolades & Publications
- James Beard Foundation – Best Chef: Southwest Semifinalist (2009, 2014, 2015, 2017)
- Bravo’s “Top Chef” – Contestant (Season 10 & Season 14)
- Knife: Modern Steak and All American Meats (Flatiron Books / Macmillan, 2017)
- CultureMap TasteMaker Awards – Best Chef in Dallas (2016)
- Food Network “Extreme Chef” – Winner (Season 1)
- Esquire Network “Restaurant Revolution” (2014)
- D Magazine – Best Steakhouse in Dallas (Knife, 2015-2016)
- Eater.com National – Most Anticipated Openings (Knife, 2014)
- Zagat – Hottest New Restaurants (Knife, 2014)
- Maxim – America’s Best Steakhouse Specialties (Knife, 2014)
- Esquire – Best New Restaurants (Knife, 2014 / Spoon Bar & Kitchen, 2013)