Hailing from a small farm in Wisconsin seasoned chef Steve McHugh has accomplished so much within his career. Earlier in his career, Steve began to make a name for himself in the culinary epicenter of New Orleans, LA as Chef De Cuisine for Chef John Besh at August restaurant. Yet his most sterling achievement has been successfully battling cancer — a triumph that propelled him to open Cured, in San Antonio’s historic Pearl Brewery. The name speaks to his feat, as well as the artisanal cured meats hanging in view. The purity of ingredients and unadulterated culinary approach follows the same methodology that contributed to his healing. Leaving nothing to chance or the vagaries of mass-production, he controls the creation of every element in his dishes and cocktails, right down to the bitters, vinegars and pickles. The progressive direction resonates throughout the design of the restaurant, which honors its historic roots with splashes of modern and old-school accents in stunning juxtaposition. Years in the making, but held to Steve’s own brand of perfection, Cured, opened in December 2013.
Accolades & Publications
- James Beard Foundation – Best Chef: Southwest nominee (2016, 2017)
- San Antonio Express-News – named #1 Best Restaurant (2015), Best New Restaurant (2014)
- Texas Restaurant Association – Texas Restaurant Neighbor Award (2015)
- Esquire – Best New Restaurants in America runner-up (2014)
- Bon Appétit – America’s Best New Restaurants nominee (2014)